Sunday, May 24, 2009

All I've been doing lately is watching movies

So since I am now a bona-fide member of the "entertainment industry" (hahaha) I have found myself seeing lots of movie.  And as your only resident movie expert (since I'm in the biz and all) I feel it is my duty to bestow my opinions on to you, my faithful readers.

State of Play 
Starring Ben Affleck, Russell Crowe and Rachel McAdams, the movie definitely had potential from the beginning, because even though Affleck hasn't put out a good movie in years, Crowe and crowd favorite Rachel McAdams definitely got me interested.  (Side note, yes Rachel McAdams is a great actress, but the reason I like her is because when I was a freshman in college, after an unfortunate hair-dying experience that left me red-headed, I was told I looked like her character in The Notebook.  I know I look NOTHING like her, but she is super gorge so I like to tell everyone that I was once compared to her. )  ANYWAY, on to the movie.  The plot starts off with a very public death of a young woman, and it is soon uncovered that she is the mistress of a prominent congressman (Affleck).  As some of the details of her death are unearthed, two journalists (Crowe and McAdams) discover that there is a whole government conspiracy behind the woman's death and work around the clock to break the story.  Sounds cliche, but overall it was really well done.  The acting was good, it wasn't TOO violent (I hate violence) and the plot was easy enough to follow.  There was a new twist every 5 minutes, and I usually find myself having a hard time following movies like that, but this one did a great job of logically leading the viewer to the next twist.  I would (and have already) recommended it. Favorite part:  Russell Crowe being a super slobby and chubby journalist that drives a really ghetto car and eats tons of cheetoes. 

Terminator Salvation
Yes, I am sure you are wondering WHY on earth I saw this movie.  Well, the short story is that it was the only way I would convince Bret to go see The Proposal with me next week (yeaaahh Sandra Bullock RomComs!!).  Anyway, this movie basically sucked for numerous reasons.  1) I haven't seen any of the other Terminator movies, and this one didn't even try to explain WHY John Connor is searching for his father, who is a teenaged boy.  Wtf?  2), The movie was just CONSTANTLY throwing freaking robot machines at you, and they are PISSED OFF!  You get about 3 minutes of dialogue, then BOOM BOOM BOOM here come the machines!  Followed by a 20 minute fight scene with about 200 rounds of bullets going off between the men and the machines.  I dont even GET why the machines hate humans so much.  Like seriously??  And where the hell do the humans get all those bullets??  Let's get real here.  Long story short, I was LITERALLY biting my nails during the whole movie, because it stressed me out so much.  So if you recognize that you have empathy issues (like myself) and will feel the emotions of the characters in movies you see, DON'T see this movie.
Favorite part:  Whoever the actor was that played Marcus (the "Salvation") was freakin hot. 

Angels and Demons
To all the haters:  I don't want to hear it, because I LOVED this movie!! It was SO GOOD!  I LOVE Tom Hanks, even though he always does this weird thing with his neck when he is playing Robert Langdon that totally distracts me (he tucks his chin into his neck, effectively giving himself a double chin, yeah it's weird).  Anyway, I read the book years ago, and though I really enjoyed the story, I thought the ending was really hokey.  The movie changed the ending, taking out all the hokey BS but still came to the same conclusion.  I love all the lore/myth of the history of the Catholic church, and was fascinated even by just the outfits.  I mean, let's be real, the Cardinals look pretty ridiculous in their red dresses with the little white lace overlay.  I loved the action, and the frantic feeling of the clock (and bomb) ticking!  I would def recommend this movie!  Especially if you are interested in religious history, even though the majority of the facts are actually NOT true, it's still soooo interesting.  (Sidenote, I watched this thing on the discovery channel that analyzed Angels and Demons, and every scientist said that that quantity of anti-matter is totally impossible... so we're safe for now!)
Favorite part: Ewan McGregor, wearing a full length dress/cloak/ whatever thingy throughout the whole movie, yet still looking super sexy.  And let's just say his exit was pretty epic.  


*****UPDATE****

I just got back from the movies (that makes three movies in three days!) 

Star Trek
I don't have much time (I have a major headache because I got hit in the face with a baseball this evening, but that's a story for another day) so I will make this short.
1. Believe the hype.  This movie is GREAT
2. Go Paramount!!!
3. Chris Pine... yes please.
4. Easy to follow and intelligent plot
5. NOT geeky at all
6. Even though it is set in the future, you don't question it.  It all is very believable.
7. I am regretting sending my sweet Star Trek shirt that I got from work to my brother.  I would rock that with pride!
8. Good action... they did a really cool thing where they balanced really intense action scenes with moments of complete silence.  It gave a great effect, seeing as this is all happening in the middle of space
9. Did I mention Chris Pine?  Too bad the guy grows up to look like William Shatner.
10. Those Romulans seriously need to take a chill pill
11. Loved all the integration, taglines, and jokes of characters from the old show
12. I haven't heard of a single person that hasn't liked this movie.  And the theater was literally full... two weeks after its release on a Sunday night.  That speaks for itself.



1 comment:

Hillary said...

you had me laughing so hard! "crowd favo1rite Rachael McAdams" loved that line. Totally second the Ewan analysis!